Parker, Texas is a city in Collin County, Texas, United States. The population was 1,379 at the 2000 census.
One hundred and fifty years ago the area that is now Parker TX was covered with prairie grass, grass so high and thick that the first settlers here had to burn their fields two years straight to prepare the land for farming. Some of the families that came to farm and raise their children were the Dillehays, Gregorys, Hogges, McCrearys, and Parkers. John C. Parker was the first known settler. Our community was named for his son, William C. Parker.
The Corinth Presbyterian Church was established on August 2, 1846. The first school was established about 1880 in nearby Halltown (two miles east of Parker) and was known as the "Who'd A Thought It School." It was a rough and tumble school with a large enrollment of 90 children. According to long-time resident Arthur Hogge, the longest-lasting schoolmaster laid his gun on his desk to maintain order in the classroom. In the 1880's T.L. Johnson ran a gristmill and a general store. About this time the St. Louis and Southwestern Railroads planned a route through Parker and town lots were laid out. Subsequently, the railroads decided to lay tracks through Wylie instead of Parker, and with this, Parker's prospective business boom faded.
In November 1900 Parker's one and only post office, opened in 1888, was closed. One store and a population of 50 were reported in 1910. By 1940 Parker, Texas had three businesses and a population of 86. It was during the 1940's that the schoolhouse was sold and torn down and the Parker children were divided into different school districts, some to Plano, TX and some to Wylie, Texas.
Parker, TX was incorporated as a city on March 22, 1969. Since then, many city improvements, including an administration, hall facility, fire station, police station, pump station, and various road and drainage improvement projects, have been completed.
Home - Sitemap